A lot of adults proudly call themselves workaholic mainly in Western Europe and America, which practically means in a modern society that you work a lot; you don’t have any free time, you are important, successful, and the society needs you. But being a workaholic should easily turn to dependence.
Definition of workaholic :
When somebody worry too much about work, and have a strong and ungovernable work motivation, and put that much energy to work that it’s affecting his personal relationships and free time activities adversely, and damaging his health.
However, they are slowly losing their friends and family and the physical consequences are very severe.
Heavy drinking, stress, stomach ulcer, heart and vascular diseases, headache, tiredness, allergies, digestion problems, shortness of breath, and chest pain.
- temper outbursts
- inability to relax
- mood changes
- and difficulty in concentrating
When work rules our life, when our life only revolves around work – then it’s too late, the poor person is already caught in the trap.
- Daily 10-12 hours of work without rest – if it looks like he’s resting, he is actually thinking about his work
- Work is first priority
- Most of the time, does not feel any joy
- Fighting the demands of the things that needs to be done
- Doesn’t trust his colleagues – only his work is satisfying
- Not able to give away or delegate the tasks
- Continue working at home
- Checking his phone and his mails all the time
- Don’t want to miss a single sign about work
- Not able to take a part in the family life even if the family is on holiday
- Not be able to enjoy the fruits of his labor
- Getting even aggressive when somebody tries to correct his habit
- Taking more and more tasks and starting to run down as an old battery
- If he feels prevented, the withdrawal symptoms occur immediately
- They say that they are working for us and for the family – unfortunately, the fat bank account does not give happy moments for the family.
And workaholics are not only among senior managers, but the officials and even housewives too – like in the case being a neat freak that’s obsessed with keeping the house in perfect and spotless condition. 70-80% of the middle and senior managers work 60 hours and more per week. And they are never satisfied; they just can’t stop or decrease their work. And yes, men are more likely to be workaholics than women. This comes from the simple fact that they have to make sure about the family’s condition. They are the moneymakers, they think they don’t have to do and care about anything else other than work.
How to handle
- Make a preference list: try to be flexible, things might change and that could be good also
- Substitution: if we want to do something new, we have to leave one
- Concentration: one thing in one time
- Scheduling: the tempo must be good for us, we dictate
- Acceptance: accept every kind of work result. The impatience, and pursuit of the perfect results, all hinders the healing.
As it looks, to be a workaholic is not a thing we should be proud of. This is a wild blossom of our society we created, and we need to destroy it. Otherwise, a workaholic person is going to destroy his health and his family life and then what would be left? Money. Yes, maybe money, but that money won’t cook you a chicken soup when you’re sick, and won’t give you a kiss when you’re dying.
Consider this while it’s not too late!