Before I start to share with you what I believe works when we talk about weight loss, let’s forget the word “weight loss” and change it to “weight CONTROL.” You know what comes to my mind when we talk about weight loss? The Jo-Jo effect. When we loose weight and gain weight, never maintain it longer than 2 to 3 months.
I have quite a number of friends around me that work in the weight loss world, trying to keep a minimal figure on the scale. Some succeed, some fail. And I need to tell you that the ones who succeed, do the same things- the things I believe would control your weight for a longer period.
- Understand that weight control is not just about losing weight.
The first thing we have to keep in mind is that it is relatively easy to loose a certain amount of kilos, but the difficulty comes when you want to maintain your weight.
- Understand that it is not just about diet.
Weight control is not mainly about diet. Taking off the unnecessary kilos will need a certain diet, but when you do it, it will not help you. The quicker you take the kilos off, the quicker they come back. You can try to use many sophisticated diet types, but the secret lies somewhere else. And this is to understand that to have the right weight for the rest of your life, you need to plan your life.
- Start with the diary.
Before making any changes on your diet, create a diary on your phone or on a paper. You need to focus on 4 things:
- What you’ve been eating during the day and when
- What you’ve been drinking during the day and when
- What you’ve been exercising and when (also note when you walk 30 minutes or ride a bike to work)
- Note when you’ve been smiling or relaxing during the day. (How much sleep, daily rest, a good laugh or a good book.)
Follow this up at least 5-10 days. It will help a lot to realize where you need to change.
- Set up your goal
In many cases, we want to loose more than our body can accept. You need to be sure that the amount of kilos you want to get rid off is reasonable. Also specify if you only want less kilo or more muscles. If you build muscles at the same time, your body weight does not necessarily goes down.
You could need your doctor’s support to figure out the ideal weight based from your age. Don’t be lazy. Get advice about it.
- Diet first
I have a close friend who has a good body and only has a problem of 7 kilos, which goes up and down. For him, 7 kilos is a lot. His problem is his lifestyle. He can enjoy, drink, and party for weeks, then for 3 other weeks, he decides to be healthy. He doesn’t need a special diet but just moderation. I have another friend who eats and eats and eats. His problem lies on his diet. You need to think where you belong. Maybe you only need a nutrition guideline you can follow daily. But it can be that you have to go for Paleo or Atkins type of diet. This will depend on your goal and your lifestyle. But one thing is for sure: you need a regulated diet. For me, it means you have to:
- Eat 5 times a day. When you are on strict diet, you need to eat 5 times a day as well it just depends what.
- Drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day. Just water.
- Stop drinking coffee, Coke and other sodas, not freshly squeezed fruit juices, milk, heavy alcohol, and beer-
- Stop adding sugar. Use only small quantities in specific recipes.
- Stop eating any snack and sweets. Allow yourself cake day only once a week.
- Start with this restriction. When you can manage these, we can talk about the next step.
- Start to exercise daily
If you have not done it yet. You need to put it into your life. Start with small steps like 20 minutes walking or biking. Start to run if you wish. Also, you can start some yoga/taichi. Any type of exercise would do, but do it every day. When it becomes a daily routine, you will be closer to your goal.
- Give yourself happy time
Weight control is life control. It can control your mood and how you feel. Happiness is a state of mind, a decision. Decide to be happy. Smile for 5 minutes. Read some comics, watch a good movie. Enjoy life, do not suffer. Allow yourself to be happy, nobody can do that for you other than yourself.
These are the first steps. I know there are times in our life when we want to get rid of the extra kilos. But I suggest you to move slower. When we gain weight, it comes from wrong habits, so you need to change those habits.